NSW Waratahs go down to Jaguares in Buenos Aires


By NSW Waratahs Media unit

The NSW Waratahs’ strong finish was not enough to bring home a win against the Jaguares, going down 28-38 to the Jaguares in Buenos Aires today.

A physical game across the park, the set piece was given a work out with a total of 21 lineouts and 15 scrums.

It was the home team who struck first blow through Emiliano Boffelli, who finished off a team try to score within the first minute of the game.

NSW looked to gain control, stringing together 14 attacking phases in the 5th minute but to no avail.

The Jaguares’ counter attack proved unstoppable, turning the ball over and working their way into the NSW Waratahs’ half for Boffelli’s second of the evening to make it 14-0 after nine minutes.

A Bernard Foley restart, regained by Kurtley Beale, sparked another NSW attempt at the line which came metres from resulting in points, only to be foiled by some brave Jaguares defence.

Following two more Argentinian tries in fullback Joaquin Tuculet and flyhalf Nicholas Sanchez, the visitors found themselves 26-0 down at the 20-minute mark.

The NSW Waratahs were given some inspiration from a bone-rattling Michael Wells tackle that forced a Jaguares ball free, setting up the platform for a NSW attack in the 33rd minute.

Jed Holloway spotted a gap in the Jags’ defence just two minutes later, going over untouched just under the sticks for his fourth career try.

Mario Ledesma’s side entered the sheds ahead 33-7 over the visitors.

The second half brought with it a re-energized NSW side; winger Curtis Rona finishing off a team try in the 47th minute to put up his first points in NSW Waratahs colours, the scores sitting at 33-14.

After plenty of back and forth between the two sides, the NSW bench made its way onto the field with 20 minutes left on the clock to up the tempo for the Tahs.

But relentless set piece pressure prevailed for the Argentinians, scoring in the corner through centre Matias Orlando in the 73rd minute to push the deficit to 38-14.

With time not on the Tahs’ side, the team worked hard to finish on a high note. Replacement lock Nick Palmer scored his first points for NSW, finishing off the hounding attack in the 79th minute.

38-21 and the final hooter been-and-gone, utility back Bryce Hegarty broke the Jaguares’ line inside the NSW 50m before punching through a well-placed grubber for Israel Folau to dot down over the line.

Flyhalf Bernard Foley remains 100% with the boot in 2018, knocking all four conversions over.

Said NSW Waratahs captain Michael Hooper: "The Jaguares were very impressive at the start of the game there. They capitalized on their opportunities and put points on us very easily, too easily for our liking. It was hard to get back into the game.

"We expected a tough challenge and it did come. We didn’t plan for the result that ended up occurring however, we’ve got to deal with it now and move forward.

"They’re ability to offload is fantastic. They’ve got a big forward pack so once they get on a roll, they’re tough to stop. Their backs were solid and moved the ball around quite well tonight – they are a quality outfit."

The NSW Waratahs return to Allianz Stadium on the afternoon of Sunday 18 March for the next round of competition against the Melbourne Rebels. In a Ladies’ Round special, the NSW Women will play their second round Super W clash against the Western Force Women as a curtain raiser from 1:30pm (AEDT).

Match re-cap available right here.


Jaguares 38
Tries | Boffelli 2, Tuculet, Sanchez, Delguy, Orlando
Conversions | Sanchez 4

NSW Waratahs 28
Tries | Holloway, Rona, Palmer, Folau
Conversions | Foley 4

Haftime score: 33-7






An error has occurred. Error Loading the Article List: