NSW Waratahs defeat Queensland for the tenth consecutive time


By NSW Rugby Media, Jessica Reading

New South Wales fans helped spur their Waratahs side to a gruelling win over arch-rivals the Queensland Reds tonight at iconic SCG, with the Tahs bringing it home with a 28-17.

Despite the Reds having close to 70 per cent of possession, the NSW Waratahs defence held strong in what was a true state of origin style battle.

The match got underway with a penalty opportunity for ex-NSW Waratahs Bryce Hegarty in the opening minute of the game, but the kick was unsuccessful.

The game was a slow burner, with errors from both teams making for a stop-start opening half. Despite this, NSW Waratahs showed their experience against a young Queensland side, with Bernard Foley successfully slotting two penalties in the opening ten minutes, taking the score to 6-0.

Although Queensland missed their early penalty opportunity, they kept up their defensive work preventing Jake Gordon from scoring in the corner in the 18 minute.

Following Queensland’s try saving efforts, front rower JP Smith was soon handed a yellow card, and with Queensland down to 14 men, fans didn’t have to wait long for NSW to capitalise.

Ned Hanigan worked to break through under the posts and score the opening try of the night, his eighth career try. Bernard Foley sealed the conversion, promoting their lead to 12-0.

The NSW Waratahs let their defence waiver in the twenty-sixth minute, opening a gap for Queensland Captain Samu Kerevi who ran the ball himself to score an easy first try for the Reds — topped with Bryce Hegarty’s successful conversation to close the gap 12-7.

Queensland’s strong attack forced NSW to let slip another easy try courtesy of Feauai-Sautia in the corner. The half-time whistle saw NSW just ahead with a 16-12 lead.

The Tahs came out of the sheds strong in the second half, with Curtis Rona scoring a text-book corner try, thanks to a pin point pass from Kurtley Beale to take the score to 21-12.

It wasn’t until the 66 minute mark that Queensland’ Seva Naivalu secured to put them within four points of the Waratahs.

In the 69th minute, Tahs utility back Alex Newsome had been on the field for a mere minute before crashing over the line thanks to a short ball from Jake Gordon.

It was enough to seal the match for the NSW Waratahs and take home the Templeton Cup, presented by former NSW Waratahs Captain Tim Gavin.

The NSW Waratahs will travel the nation’s Capital on Friday night to go head-to-head with the Brumbies in the second Aussie derby of the year.

NSW Waratahs
Tries: Hanigan, Rona, Newsome
Conversions: Foley
Penalties: Foley (3)

Queensland Reds
Tries: Kerevi, Feauai-Sautia, Naivalu
Conversions: Hegarty






An error has occurred. Error Loading the Article List: