Tahs prevail in emotion-filled clash against Crusaders


By NSW Rugby Media

It was an emotion-filled match between the NSW Waratahs and Crusaders in round six of the Vodafone Super Rugby, with the home side delivering a strong 20-12 victory tonight at the SCG.

The teams walked side by side onto the field tonight as a minutes silence was held in memory of the Christchurch victims as well as NSW Rugby stalwart Manu Sutherland who sadly passed away yesterday.

In a symbol of unity both teams linked arms together in the middle of the field with the solace felt by fans right across the SCG.

Both teams showed a lot of attacking promise early in the game, with Jed Holloway busting through the Crusaders defence to score the opening try of the match after just four minutes of play. Bernard Foley successfully kicked the conversion, giving the Waratahs a 7-0 lead.

The NSW Waratahs kept the momentum and just five minutes later fans were witness to another one of Folau’s spectacular air contests with Cam Clark receiving the off-load and sliding in the corner to take the NSW Waratahs to a 12-0 lead.

Despite the Waratahs early lead, the Crusaders didn’t waiver and kept their poise, holding possession for the majority of the first half. The Crusaders possessional power paid off with George Bridge scoring off a Crusaders scrum. Brett Cameron converted to close the gap 12-7.

NSW were gifted another scoring opportunity when the ball fell into Alex Newsome’s hands as he bolted down the sideline on his lonesome. The speedster Nick Phipps in close pursuit passed to Bernard Foley who kicked and chased but unfortunately lost possession on the try line after the Crusaders defensive swooped. NSW went into the halftime break extending there lead to 15-7 thanks to a Foley penalty goal.

The opening 30 mInutes of the second half was a physical content. In the last 10 minutes of the game, Bernard Foley booted a pinpoint cross-field kick, prompting a mid-air scramble until Israel Folau forced the ball down to score the Waratahs third try for the evening and widening the margin 20-7 in favour of the sky blue.

Crusaders were scrambling late in the second half looking for attacking opportunities, but nothing seemed to be connecting for them until the final siren sounded and a charging Will Jordan beamed down the sideline to score the final try of the game.

The final score, 20 - 12. The NSW Waratahs successfully snapping the Crusaders 19-game win streak.

The NSW Waratahs will next take on the Japanese Sunwolves at McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle next Friday 29th March.






An error has occurred. Error Loading the Article List: