Waratahs edged out by Jaguares


The Waratahs have gone down in a close encounter to the Jaguares this evening, with the Argentinian side prevailing 23-15 at Bankwest Stadium.

Both teams had plenty to play for, with the Waratahs looking for a solid win to bolster their hopes of a finals appearance, while the Jaguares were seeking to remain on top in the South African conference.

Wearing the first ever Waratahs Indigenous jersey – designed by Dylan Barnes – the Waratahs men looked spectacular under lights at Sydney’s newest sporting venue.

Things didn’t start well for Daryl Gibson’s men however, as Karmichael Hunt went down in just the second minute with a knee injury – with reports suggesting the centre has suffered a serious MCL tear.

The first half saw a wealth of possession for the visitors with the Waratahs absorbing plenty of attack from the Argentinians – only managing 29% of possession and playing on the back foot for most of the opening stanza.

The Jaguares were the first to score just beyond the 20-minute mark, as Geronimo De La Fuente kicked a perfectly-weighted grubber into the corner for Ramiro Moyano to score.

Domingo Miotti converted from the sideline for the Jaguares to take the first lead of the game 7-0.

The arm wrestle for ascendancy continued, until Bernard Foley converted a penalty goal just before half time to put the Waratahs on the board. The Jaguares would return serve just minutes later with a penalty of their own, stretching the lead back to a converted try.

The Waratahs looked to retain possession in the second half, aiming to square the ledger in some very lopsided possession and territory stakes. Coming out of the blocks with intent in the second half they looked to be a different side as their pack made inroads in the middle of the park – aptly led by Hannigan, Hooper and Simmons.

That dominance wasn’t able to be converted into points from the outset, with the Jaguares going over for an impressive team try in the 48th minute, with Ramiro Moyano bagging himself a double and Domingo Miotti again converting – putting the Argentinians up 17-3.

The Waratahs were eventually rewarded for their hard work with some sharp play off a line out and rolling maul, earning a penalty try after a professional foul on the line by Pablo Matera – edging the score to 10-17.

With a player in the sin bin for the visitors, the Waratahs looked to press home their advantage and showed great signs in attack as Nick Phipps drove over the try line to score. Unfortunately, the TMO was called upon and it was determined that Lalakai Foketi was in touch a couple of phases before the try was scored.

They were able to strike back minutes later to give the Bankwest crowd a grandstand finish, as Curtis Rona crossed in the corner courtesy of a lovely ball from Michael Hooper.

As the match came to a close, the Jaguares were able to slot home two penalty kicks to widen their lead, securing another win on their current tour.

The Waratahs now prepare for a conference clash with the Rebels at AAMI Park on Friday night.






An error has occurred. Error Loading the Article List: